People are constantly bombarded with messages and have very little time to spare. They tune most of them out.
You need to capture and maintain their attention -> to influence them in positive ways -> to transform culture -> to ultimately achieve a peaceful Free Society.
Humans survived for millions of years because they were able to pass wisdom from one generation to the next using stories. As a result, the human psyche is naturally drawn to stories.
What better way to quickly capture and maintain someone’s attention during a brief encounter, than with a gripping short story…
Short Story Guidelines from Kurt Vonnegut
- Use time of a total stranger in such a way that he or she will not feel the time was wasted.
- Give the reader at least one character he or she can root for.
- Every character should want something even if it’s only a glass of water.
- Every sentence must do one of two things – reveal character or advance the action.
- Start as close to the end as possible.
- Be a sadist. No matter how sweet and innocent your leading character, make awful things happen to them in order so the reader can see what they’re made of.
- Write to please just one person.
- Give your reader as much information as possible as soon as possible.